lost in the field…

I created this quilt to test not only my skills but to test the skills of the the new long arm machine, and the software provided. I wanted to learn how to trim out an appliqué from an all over quilting design, as well as design something for the curved borders.

20140319-220406.jpg

When I had originally designed this quilt I envisioned the off-white border quilting and flower petal quilting in a matching off-white. I let myself get talked in to quilting both in the red that I knew that I wanted to quilt the background in.

With all of the vertical lines in the background I found that the quilt just wanted to curl in on itself, and there was some puckering around the flowers and the border. So I went back and stitched in the ditch around the flowers and the border to just give the quilt some better structure.

20140319-220422.jpg

I chose to finish this quilt with a facing instead of a binding so that the edge would just fade instead of standing out. My downfall was in trying to incorporate a hanging sleeve in to the facing. Needless to say, I will need to work on it more, and still stitch it down to the backing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *